Spring is enjoyable for more than a few reasons: flowers are blossoming, you can open up windows for crisp air and your utility bill is generally at its lowest. That’s because you’re not turning to your furnace or air.
But as temps begin to increase, so do your energy costs. Here are some suggestions for saving energy in Calgary and keeping costs down.
1. Book Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a seasonal maintenance appointment can help it run more efficiently and trim costs. Switching out your air filter will help keep energy bills down.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving technology in updated AC systems is a definite benefit for keeping your power charges down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s a simple way you can save up to 10% on home comfort bills. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Figuring out how to expertly schedule your thermostat is the easiest way to lower energy expenses in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Think of it this way, the smaller the difference between outside temperatures and indoor temperatures, the smaller your energy expense will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty house.
3. Experiment with Other Methods to Cool Your House
You can try a couple other approaches to help keep your home comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By turning on a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which pushes cool air upward. This disperses cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it comes through windows. Keep your residence more comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny spaces.
4. Look Into Using a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and abruptly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats figure out your habits and change the temp when you’re not around to help you save energy and money. You can also adjust the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These professional ideas will all help keep summer energy expenses less expensive. If you think it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 403-279-5760 or contact us online. We’ll help you choose the right fit for your home. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.