How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Calgary Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s commonly connected to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?

The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is one of the leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Calgary homeowner. Acute poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?

  1. If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us