Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your house, being cozy in your new area year-round is key. However, they can present a unique challenge for heating and cooling. This is because extending ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the higher load, since it was sized without taking the addition into consideration.
One of the most reasonably priced possibilities is to add a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Discover more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition might be a great option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, as they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your space comfier. In reality, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for added rebates and reduce your utility costs for a long time.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Since each room typically has its own indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is especially helpful if you have a space with precise temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that don’t have ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s wiser than adding ductwork and using your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is costly. Adding ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the total cost will depend on your residence, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system could become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your residence in advance of the addition. This may stress your system and make it wear out more quickly.
- Your comfort may decrease. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort may suffer if your system is required to cover a larger area. Your heating and cooling may be less effective, and your utility bills may get more expensive due to the system needing to run more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like traditional systems, mini-splits come in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you select the correct size for your new space. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in huge energy savings over its life cycle, which can be 20 years or more when correctly serviced. ENERGY STAR says having one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you pick the right model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Give us a call at 403-279-5760 now to request a free consultation and estimate.