Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping your home’s air cool, which means that any time you allow heat back into the home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it needs to. While the air conditioner is your go-to for cooler air, there are a couple things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Calgary heat out and help your air conditioner thrive during the remaining days of summer.
Here are seven tips from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to help keep hot air outdoors:
- Block out the sun. Quite a bit of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by reaping the benefits of solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, purchase blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can perform a complete comfort performance assessment for you to identify leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven create a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave as an alternative to your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might produce heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances the night off.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help shield the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also offer shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The biggest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After hearing about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the best option may simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is maintaining cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it may mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your equipment is running properly and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than necessary. Give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Calgary or set up an appointment online to have a professional check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s running properly.