When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system completely off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Calgary, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Calgary or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 403-279-5760 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.