Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is on? There's probably something wrong with your system. If you ignore it, it could lead to major—and expensive—problems later. We're going to help you figure out what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can't identify where the noise is originating from, that's alright. A technician can help determine where this noise is occurring. You can learn more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can come from a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more information.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. See our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can see more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can come from a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your outside unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Check out our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about common air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's difficult to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Usually, we recommend shutting off the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's best to get problems corrected right away. Getting a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.